About Me

My photo
Vice President Athenee Importers

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Submerging Thalassitis 2011

On September 1, 2012 a group of 4 divers, 1 over water photographer, 2 boat hands & a boat captain aboard "The Black Cat Bone" set out to submerge 1 ton (520 bottles) of Thalassitis off the coast of Santorini.  After sifting through tons of video and still shots, I have compiled this 7 minute video that I have uploaded to You Tube.

Yiannis P carefully guiding the cage into the water off Monolithos Beach, Santorini
The concept of submerging wine under the sea is not a new one - there are several winemakers doing this off the coast of France & Spain.  To my knowledge, Yiannis P & GAIA Wines is the only Greek winery to do so.

The project was an ambitious one and I am happy to report that the sinking of the cage went off without a hitch and not a bottle was broken on the way down.

In the coming days I will post my report in detail on this blog.  However, I wanted to share this video with you now so you can get a sense of the project we partook in.  It was a great experience and I can't wait to do it again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment